First of all, Happy New Year to everyone who visits my little corner of the interwebz.
Goals were as follows:
Detroit: Pavel Datsyuk (Bertuzzi, Janik); Darren Helm (sh; Draper, Lidstrom); Ville Leino (Meech, Filppula); Darren Helm (EN; sh; Lidstrom)
Colorado: Brandon Yip (pp; Tucker, Duchene); Brandon Yip (pp; Tucker, Duchene)
+ Pavel was certainly up for the game. He was all over the ice, and also had a couple of good shots on net before sinking that gorgeous snipe to open scoring in the 2nd. And can I say, so much nicer to be at a game at the home barn, where you’re finally not in the minority of fans cheering the visiting team.
+ The Wings managed to pressure in the first period, with the advantage in shots being 13-8. Still too many easy shots from the perimeter and no one around to pick up the rebounds, but they started on time, and played a full 60 minutes.
+ So good to see Helm finally score. Either he got some new hands for the New Year, or Anderson was just really mistaken on that shot. In fact when he went in on the breakaway, I just assumed he wasn’t going to score, and so was thrilled when he did. His second may have been an empty netter, but the fact that he scored 2 shorties is pretty amazing. And he wasn’t even picked as a star of the game–Ville Leino was picked as first, over Helm or Datsyuk, even. Leino may have scored the GWG, and his first goal in forever, and had a decent game, but come on. Fail, Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily, fail.
+ You knew that the concept of “once in a blue moon” was true when Ville Leino actually had a good shift, and tipped in the puck for a goal.
+ Congrats to Brett Lebda for playing his 300th career game. I’m 3/4 for milestones this year–Cleary’s 100th goal, Holmstrom’s 200th, Lebda’s 300th game… next up, Osgood’s 400th win??? It would keep with the trend, but it’d have to be either at the Islanders on 1/12, or Philadelphia 4/4.
– I don’t know what Jimmy was thinking on that first Colorado goal by Yip. And speaking of, I talked about Yip in my game preview, and he freaking goes out and scores 2 power play goals. Sheesh.
– Way too many penalties taken by the Wings. Some were cheap calls, like that “tripping” penalty by Filppula in the third, which was a clear dive by the Avs player. But Holmstrom was also responsible for 6 PIMs all by himself.
– The power play sucks. Story of the season.
– A disgusting stat: Helm’s goal was the Red Wings’ first not scored by the top line of Datsyuk, Bertuzzi and Tomas Holmstrom in 349:58. Last was Eaves in the third period on Dec. 17.
– Even more depressing? Pavel’s goal was the first not scored by Bertuzzi in 300:29.
Photos and some video coming later today.